Research Professionals Initiative
NBIF Research Professionals Initiative (RPI) Program Guidelines
Revised September 2020
The RPI is a joint initiative between NBIF and the New Brunswick Department of Post-Secondary Education, Training and Labor (PETL). It provides applied researchers the opportunity to apply for funding to hire research professionals to work in their labs or to support their research programs.
- Funding is provided to a maximum of $90,000 per position. The funds must be used for salary and employee benefits.
- The amount requested in the RPI application must be at least evenly matched, e.g. if $90,000 is requested then $90,000 in matching funds must be provided.
- The duration of the funding can be from 1 to 3 years. The duration of the position must be indicated on the application form in the space provided.
- Matching funds (1:1 ratio) must include direct cash contributions to the professional’s salary and benefits by the research institute, college or university (no in-kind contributions). Any additional expenses related to the professional and their work are to be covered by other funding sources.
- The research professional being hired will usually have completed at least a Master’s degree, however this program can also fund those holding PhDs, post-doctoral research professionals (postdocs) and lab or program managers. Full time faculty or positions operating as such are not eligible.
- Those operating as managers must spend at least 50% of their time actively involved in research activities with the remaining 50% available for lab or research program managing. Those applying for this type of position will need to indicate as such on their application form in the space provided.
The full criteria for evaluation of proposals, as well as sample commercialization plans, can be found on our website at http://www.nbif.ca
Researchers are strongly encouraged to register on the Research Services Portal https://nbif-finb.smapply.io/ well in advance of the application due date.
For information on the award administration and eligible expenses, please refer to the NBIF Research Award Administration Guidelines. https://nbif.ca/wp-content/uploads/2020/03/NBIF-Research-Award-Administration-Guidelines-1.pdf
Questions about the RPI program can be sent to email@example.com